Friday, November 12, 2010

Commentary on 10 Quirky Facts About Kissing


This is an article from Yahoo.com. In parentheses are my commentaries.

"Think you know a thing or two about kissing? You probably do. But the facts below are so off the beaten path, we’ll bet you don’t know them all — and they could come in handy. Not only could they provide some steamy “Did you know…?” small talk, but they’ll help you see all the benefits a satisfying liplock can bring into your life. Happy smooching!

1. Two out of every three couples turn their heads to the right when they kiss. (I like going left, just to be a rebel.)

2. A simple peck uses two muscles; a passionate kiss, on the other hand, uses all 34 muscles in your face. Now that’s a rigorous workout! (Sometimes I think people get a little too rigorous and could benefit from simplifying things a little bit. Has anyone else ever been physically injured while being subject to a "passionate" kiss? Only me? Ok....)

3. Like fingerprints or snowflakes, no two lip impressions are alike. (Although, if they found your lip imprint at a crime scene I don't think they have a database to run it against.)

4. Kissing is good for what ails you. Research shows that the act of smooching improves our skin, helps circulation, prevents tooth decay, and can even relieve headaches. (I've used this remedy for headaches. One of the only two things that works for me. Ladies, no more saying "I have a headache" to get out of it ;) )

5. The average person spends 336 hours of his or her life kissing. (I spend more time than that in the car. That's pathetic!)

6. Ever wonder how an “X” came to represent a kiss? Starting in the Middle Ages, people who could not read used an X as a signature. They would kiss this mark as a sign of sincerity. Eventually, the X came to represent the kiss itself. (Interesting tidbit, but now I want to know where the O came from. So, I did a quick internet search. According to wiki.answers.com, "An O stands for hugs because the shape of arms around a person is roughly the shape of an O, and also because Jewish immigrants who did not wish to discriminate against God by using the turned shape of cross signed with an O instead of an X." The X is more interesting.)

7. Talk about a rush! Kissing releases the same neurotransmitters in our brains as parachuting, bungee jumping, and running. (What?! I highly doubt that. I'll do some research and get back to you. Also, I hate running.)

8. The average woman kisses 29 men before she gets married. (Start getting in line boys. I've got 15 more to go before I can get married, apparently. In case you didn't get that, that's a joke. If you randomly try to plant one on me, you'll get punched in the throat. That isn't a joke. :D)

9. Men who kiss their partners before leaving for work average higher incomes than those who don’t. (I'll be kissing my husband before he leaves for work regardless, but the higher income is a nice added bonus.)

10. The longest kiss in movie history was between Jane Wyman and Regis Tommey in the 1941 film, You’re in the Army Now. It lasted 3 minutes and 5 seconds. So if you’ve beaten that record, it’s time to celebrate!" (That's great, but how is the quality of the onscreen kiss? I'll have to rent it and analyze it. Did you know that my dream job is to be a Kissing Coach for movies? Nothing ruins a good chick flick like a bad kiss. My dream is to remedy that.)

Laura Schaefer is the author of Man with Farm Seeks Woman with Tractor: The Best and Worst Personal Ads of All Time. (This book sounds funny. I think I might buy it.)

No comments: