Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto

I'm not really a hacker, but I've decided to write a dating creed. These are things that I want, but I haven't always been firm about so I tend to get used or treated badly. Boys are always complaining that girls don't know what they want... Well, I know exactly what I want, I just have trouble getting it so I am typing this to any prospective male I may date. Read as if you are a boy who wants to date me:

I do not hang out with boys I intend to date. If you ask me to hang out, I will assume you want to be put in friend zone and that's where you will stay. If you ask me out via text or Facebook instead of in person or at LEAST over the phone, I consider that hanging out. I also do not make out with boys who have asked me to hang out with them. The whole "We're hanging out, so we might as well make out" mentality does not fly with me. If you want to kiss me, or even hold my hand, or cuddle, you will take me on a date and earn it. That doesn't mean you have to spend loads of money on me. I am a girl who prefers dates with adventure and creativity, something out of the norm that will let me see sides of you that you just don't see sitting next to each other in a movie theater. Put some thought into it. Show me things that YOU like to do. If you really want to win me over, you'll put effort into the things we do together to show that you care and think about me at times other than when we're in the same room.

When you've earned it and we do get to the kissing stage in the relationship (meaning you don't just expect me to kiss you because you've spent money on me and you actually want to kiss me for the right reasons), you will be respectful. That means you will kiss me like you mean it, and not like I'm a piece of meat so I don't sit there thinking, "Whenever you're done," or try to push you away and have you not get the hint. It's pretty obvious when someone is done kissing, so please pay attention and let me breathe every once in awhile.

I do not like taking on the male role in the relationship. I do not like initiating contact, or making all the moves. I'm a girl, I like to feel like a girl. Is it really so much to ask for you to call me and ask me out? Or open my doors for me, or walk me to my car if we're at your house? I think it's common courtesy, and common sense.

Don't just assume things. If I do happen to call you, it doesn't mean I'm obsessed with you in a psycho kind of way. If I express my feelings for you, there is no need to freak out because it doesn't mean I think you're my EC and we're going to get married and have 10 kids together and live happily ever after. I feel that if you like someone and it seems pretty clear that they like you back, and you're dating (duh!) you shouldn't have to play the guessing game, so I'll tell you that I like you. I think you deserve a break from the guessing game, and games in general. It doesn't mean you have to run the other way screaming. If you ask me out on a date I think it's safe to assume that you like me and want to get to know me better, so reciprocating that should not be cause for fear. I don't enjoy the guessing game on either end, so if you like me ask me out on a date. Hoping that I'll figure it out is probably not going to happen. I'm willing to go out with almost anyone once and give them a fair chance, and if I happen to not be interested in you, it doesn't mean that I don't like you as a person and we can't be friends. Sometimes it just isn't there, it doesn't mean you have to get your ego wounded and treat me like you hate my guts. Be a grown up. If you're rude, it's probably not going to help your chances. I am a reasonable person, and easily influenced by the opinions of others. If you like me and I don't like you, for heaven's sake convince me that you're the greatest guy in the world, sweep me off my feet, and fight for me. Insulting me is not a way to accomplish this. That goes for boys who I do like, too. Just some helpful little hints.

No comments: