Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pushing Daisies

There is a show on ABC called Pushing Daisies, and I am in love with it. The main storyline in a nutshell is about a man named Ned who can touch dead things and bring them back to life. If he brings something back to life for more than a minute, then something else of equal size must die. After he touches something he's brought back to life for the second time it is dead forever and he can't bring it back again. Only one other person knows about his ability. His name is Emerson, and he and Ned solve murders together. Ned's childhood sweetheart and soul mate, Charlotte aka Chuck, is murdered in the first episode and he brings her back to life to find out who killed her. He was going to touch her again and she would be dead forever, but he decided that he didn't want to live without her again after being separated for so long, so he kept her alive. (There are other important details to the show, but this is the background you need for the point I'm trying to make).

Ned and Chuck are completely in love. They were each others' first kiss and neither has ever kissed anyone else, and now they can't touch or she will be dead forever. The thing I love most is that they love each other so much that they're staying together and being faithful to each other even though they can't have a physical relationship. Ned goes out of his way to make sure that Chuck is happy. She loves bees, so he created a bee colony on the roof of their apartment building for her. They pretend to hold hands with each other while they're just holding their own hands, and they held hands through a wall (you have to see it for yourself to see what I'm talking about). They found out that they can touch through plastic or thick materials in one of the episodes, so Ned builds contraptions that they can hold each other through. Chuck kissed him through Saran wrap in that episode. It is adorable. Ned says sincerely sweet things to her all the time, for example, she asked him what he needed to be happy and he replied, "You." And just the way they look at each other. It gives me butterflies just watching them. They can't live without each other and would do anything for each other. I highly recommend watching the show because I can't even hope to accurately describe the appeal of it.

Call me a silly girl, but that is an amazing thing to me. As someone who has been rejected emotionally in relationships over and over again because I won't sleep with the boy I'm dating, to have someone just love me and want to be with me no matter what is something that I long for. The show has an incredibly romantic appeal to it, almost a surreal aspect and it gives me hope. I know it's fictional, but it gives me hope that there are men out there who are mature enough to know that there is more to being in a relationship than just the physical aspects and who would love me, stay with me, find other ways to express their love for me, and be true to me even if they couldn't touch me at all.

No comments: